Sunday, March 18, 2007

Venice and Rome






I imagine Venice to be a truly magical city but all I saw was a billion people and the humidity just draining. After wandering the streets shoulder to shoulder I decided to wander alone and away from the crowds. I kept walking and soon realized I was probably never going to find my way back to St. Mark's Square. Then I came into a big piazza where old women were sitting under shady trees on park benches, kids were playing soccer in front of the church and mamas were fanning their babies. I sat under a tree as well, another old woman, and began sketching. I had found the Venice I was looking for.



In Rome my new friend Preeti and I decided to explore the city on foot. After visiting the Forum, Colosseum, and the Pantheon we found this fountain on a side street and joyfully splashed and cooled our sore puppies in the cool water. While there I asked her to model for me and included her in my sketch. From here we went to the piazza Navona, then shopping, finishing off at the Spanish Steps for dinner. What a great day it was in Rome!



1 comment:

Sandy said...

I have seen this post from you, and it is exactly what I hope to capture - I hear Venice is uncomfortably "scented" and most do not want to stay there long.?? Lovely sketch